appearance of Tower House, next to Lubenham Church, is largely
due to a former owner Jack 'Cherry' Angell, a horse racing
enthusiast who celebrated his major wins by adding to the
house. His most prominent addition is that of a tall tower
built to commemorate his horse Alcibade winning the 1865 Grand
so nicknamed because of the colour of his coaches, was a popular
local figure. He was one of the finest sportsmen and horseowners
in the area and enjoyed many wins. A story tells how he used
to nail the horseshoes from his champions to the stable door
(the stables now occupied by GJ Waller's) opposite the house.
occupant, the Rev. Graham Dilley, turned the house into Lubenham
Vicarage. He was also a keen huntsman and took great care
to preserve Cherry's winning momentoes. It is told that he
had the stable door removed and hung like a picture in the
The house is currently being restored in private ownership.
The mound under which Alcibade was buried is close by.