Hall, near Lubenham, close to the border with Northamptonshire,
lies St Mary's Well, a few yards from the River Welland.
The site was once a Lazars house associated with Leicester
Abbey and the waters, being iron-bearing, were therefore
Papillon Hall once stood on the site, until being demolished
in 1950, and it was this place where a strange man, David
Papillon, (1691- 1762) lived, who was reputed to have hypnotic
powers, and who cast an apparent malevolent force around
the hall. 'Old Parry' as he was known to the locals, claimed
to have a magical well, formerly belonging to the Lazars
house, and known as the 'Everlasting Well'. It was supposed
to possess great medicinal value.
A stone cover bearing the Papillon coat of arms once existed
over the well but a former owner took part of it away in
1908; misfortune followed and he was forced to return it.