All Saints Primary School is located on School Lane. It is
a lovely Victorian building, opened as Lubenham National School
in 1858 with the aid of a parliamentary building grant and
with voluntary subscriptions collected by the vicar, H.E Bullivant.
A Schoolmaster's house was also built. This new school replaced
the Parish School that had been based in the church (see notes).
Records show that the average attendance rose from 71 in 1871
to 113 in 1906. In 1924 it was decided to school only children
under 9 years of age and to send older children to Market
In 1945 Lubenham (C of E) School accepted 'controlled' status under the local authority.
The building maintains many original features and is set within extensive grounds.
The school prides itself on the excellent achievement of its pupils, the dedication of the staff and the support of the parents, governors and wider community.
| || |
The school clock, set above the original Main Entrance. One of many original and historic features.
The logo of Lubenham All Saints' Primary School. Proudly worn on school sweatshirts.
The 'Parish School' based in the church vestry seems to have
been supported by voluntary contributions and had two separate
departments. The north chapel of the church was a schoolroom
for the boys and the girls were housed elsewhere in the village.
The parish school was open to children form neighbouring villages
if their parents paid 1s. a week. Records show that in 1819
there were 70 boys and 36 girls in attendance. In 1815 the trustees
of Alderman Newton's charity in Leicester, wishing to dispose
of excess profits, began to make an annual payment of £26
to the parish of Lubenham for educating and clothing boys at
Historical documents refer to another school in Lubenham, 'The
Private Academy of Thomas Eldridge'. This was begun in 1832.
In 1835 there were 3 boys and 7 girls on roll. No further information